Perhaps one of the most vital elements of the game is to first get to grips with the controls, becoming familiar with these is a great way to prepare yourself for movement during later Bossfights.
|Attack / Consume|
This section covers some very basic tips to start off a player's adventure.
- As soon as you spawn into a world, you will want to start progressing immediately. Start this by picking up
(E)a Rock, this can be used to mine
(Mouse0)plain Trees in order to harvest Wood.
- Enter the inventory
(Tab)and craft and place down
(Mouse1)a Workbench. This crafting station provides crafting capabilities for most early-game items. With your acquired wood, open the Workbench
(E)and craft some basic materials, such as a Wood Pickaxe, Wood Axe and Bowls for later use.
- Scavenge around to try find Foodstuffs on the ground, try to gather a good number of these, as running out of hunger can disable sprinting and jumping. Hold down
(Mouse0)to consume these.
- Look around to try find Huts, Caves and Wooden Carts. These can be extremely useful to provide the player with early equipment, such as Coins, Weapons and Foodstuffs.
As soon as the player has early-game items. The player will need to start gathering better materials to become stronger. Upgrading is an essential part to overcome future Bossfights.
- With enough Coins, start opening Loot Containers for Powerups. These are extremely beneficial to the player, providing bonus life, health regeneration, strength and abilities.
- Locate Birch Trees to harvest Birch Wood with a Wood Axe. This new wood provides many Powerups.
- Locate Caves or areas with great Ore Outcrop density, with a Wood Pickaxe, start by mining out Rock, Iron Ore and Coal from their corresponding outcrops. Use these materials to craft a Furnace at a Workbench, and start refining the Iron Ore into Iron Bars. You will need to do this for all Ores you come across.
- With the acquired Iron Bars and Birch Wood, craft an Anvil at a Workbench, you will want to try to craft a Steel Pickaxe, Steel Axe and optionally a Steel Sword and Steel Armor.
- Use these new items to harvest new Ores and Wood types, repeating the process to craft better equipment.
- Start interacting with Shrines. These will summon Buff Enemies, however, in return, grant the player with Powerups, Item drops and Coins.
- Try to craft more complex foods through a Cauldron, an easy way to do this is by cooking Raw Meat, dropped by Cows. These Foodstuff are more sustainable and will keep the player's energy for longer.
- With any spare Coins, the player may wish to locate a Trader Camp in order to trade with Woodmen, this is an easy way of attaining gear which otherwise may be difficult to get. Sell cheap items like Wood to the aforementioned Woodmen to achieve this easily.
Although the player won't meet every enemy straight away, they will encounter more monsters as they progress and the nights quickly wear on. These creatures will also become more dangerous overtime as they gain more health and deal more damage. It's good to know their general gimmicks so that you are prepared for the next threat.
|List of Enemies|
|Enemy||Starts Spawning Naturally On||Description||Weakness|
|Dave||Day 0||Typically the first enemy the player encounters. Very weak. Can be found roaming at any time of day.||None|
|Goblin||Stronger than Dave. Has a ranged and melee attack. Can sometimes be annoying or even fatal, if one is not prepared, in groups.|
|Wolf||Day 1||Extremely fast. Can easily overpower players that aren't prepared, especially with other enemies distracting them.||Fire|
|Small Chunk||Slow and tanky. Can distract players from other threats. Has a melee and ranged attack. Use a Pickaxe, as they are weak to blunt weapons.||Blunt|
|Fire Dave||Day 4||Stronger variant of Dave. Shoots powerful Fireball projectiles. Take care when disposing of this elemental beast.||Water|
|Lightning Dave||Day 5||Stronger variant of Dave. Shoots powerful Lightningball projectiles. Take care when disposing of this elemental beast.||Fire|
|Water Dave||Day 6||Stronger variant of Dave. Shoots powerful Waterball projectiles. Take care when disposing of this elemental beast.||Lightning|
|Wyvern||Night 7||A flying fiend that shoots deadly Windballs at anyone who dares approach. Use a ranged weapon or gather Janniks Frog or Jetpack Powerups to combat this threat. For whatever reason, Wyverns cannot damage workbenches. Use this to your advantage!||Lightning|
Once the 6th / 5th / 3rd day is reached, or the player interacts with a Boss Totem or the wheel on the Shipwreck, a Boss will spawn. To ensure the player is well prepared, the player may opt to follow the following guide.
General boss preparation
- It could be useful to have Structure Blocks or Workstations on hand, as most enemies, namely the Wyvern, can be distracted by them. Place these down during the bossfights.
- Memorize the boss' attacks as soon as possible. Try attack from a long distance from a boss, or behind it.
- It might be worthwhile scouting an area to fight the boss, or making a quick arena out of Structure Blocks.
- It should be noted that the boss will spawn randomly near any player's position.
Shipwreck location and repair
To locate the Shipwreck, a Boat Map is typically recommended, although the player can find it without one. The Shipwreck's mast can be spotted from extremely far distances because of its massive height. In order to repair the wreck, the player must gather a variety of items. Upon repairing the ship with these items, the player will be prompted to press
E whilst at the ship's steering wheel in order to "Leave Muck", a few seconds later, Bob will spawn.
|Items required to repair the Shipwreck|
|Item||Number required to repair|
|Dark Oak Wood||28|
|Gems (one of each)||5|
To make this guide more understandable and easier to read the differences between the selections involved through this guide, some items and sets will be marked with symbols.
- Ω signifies that this item or set is rare, and, though being viable if lucky enough, is not entirely recommended.
- ★ signifies that this item or set is the best choice at this point in the game for said class (this will not apply to weapons which may be too rare).
- π signifies that this item or set is viable, but not entirely recommended, and the player should only use it if confident.
This stage is for a player's setup before either Big Chunk or Gronk, of whom will spawn naturally every 6th / 5th / 3rd day. At this point, the player is pretty limited on weapon choices, especially with the melee class, with only small chances of obtaining other weapons through great luck.
|Melee|| Obamium Sword ★
Wolf Claws Ω π
| Obamium Armor ★
|Ranged||Oak Bow ★||Obamium Armor ★||Robin Hood Hat||Adamantite Arrow ★|
This stage highlights the player's setup after they have defeated at least one of the first two bosses. At this stage, the player has access to a greater variety of weapons and Powerups, from the items dropped from these bosses. At this point the player is preparing to repair the Shipwreck and looking to defeat the Guardians for Gems, whilst also encountering new enemies.
|Melee||Chiefs Spear ★||Obamium Armor ★||Orange Juice|
|Ranged||Ancient Bow ★||Wolfskin Armor ★||Robin Hood Hat||Adamantite Arrow ★|
|Melee||Chiefs Spear ★||Obamium Armor ★||Orange Juice|
|Ranged|| Ancient Bow ★
Oak Bow π
|Obamium Armor ★||Robin Hood Hat||Adamantite Arrow ★|